Compassion fatigue is characterized by a gradual lessening of compassion over time, resulting from a combination of burnout and secondary traumatic stress related to vicarious traumatization from repeated exposure to traumatic material. Many causes may be:
- Frequently and routinely placing the needs of others before our own needs
- Unresolved past trauma and pain
- Lack of healthy professional/personal coping skills
- Providing care to others with burnout and stress (negativity can be contagious)
- Lack of personal boundaries
- Overdeveloped sense of responsibility
The training will use a mix of lecture, small group activities and video that is designed to assist the caregiver to understand, create awareness and develop strategies to aid themselves in defining self-care.